Tuesday 12 March 2013

Lesson from a Lost Lead

In our household, our mornings begin with walking the dog, come rain, come shine. Usually, at least two of us walk the dog together, but on this particular morning, it was just me.

As I walked our dog Lily at the local park, I zigzagged across the large field playing games with her. When it was time to go, I put my hands to my side to rummage for the lead, and to my dismay, it was no longer around my middle, where I had tied it. I looked around the large open field, which now seemed very large indeed, and wondered exactly which way I had sauntered. Oh, why hadn’t I just stuck to the path? Surely the multi-coloured lead ought to be reasonably easy to spot on the green grass! Though I tried to retrace my footsteps, I could not find that lead. I asked the other local doggy-walkers, a friendly and kindly lot of folk, but no-one had seen it. Some of them even joined in the search.

By this time, Lily was flagging and definitely wanted to go home, but we live a good ten minutes’ walk from the park, and it necessitates walking beside main roads; there was no safe way of going home without a lead. I was wondering quite what to do when I saw two ladies come towards me; they stopped to talk to me. One of the ladies insisted that I have her dog’s lead, saying that she’d come by car and could manage without it. Gratefully, I accepted and we swapped phone numbers to enable us to make arrangements for its return.

Though I tried to contact that lady to return her lead, each time an arrangement was made, something would happen; she would text to say she couldn’t come, but she insisted I keep the lead. Now generally speaking, I know my fellow dog-walkers, yet this kind lady I have met neither before, nor since. The more I have considered the happenings, the more providential they seem.

The Lord knows our needs even before we ask Him. It seems to me that in His great kindness He sent me help. If the Lord should care about such a small event in the scheme of my life, then the big issues, that each of us agonise over, are of great concern to Him too.

“Let the Lord be magnified,
 Who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant.”
 (Psalm 35:27) 

No comments:

Post a Comment